Saturday, August 29, 2009

Klasterni Pivovar Strahov, Prague

Klasterni Pivovar Strahov
Strahovske Nadvori 10
233 353 155

Up on a hill....




Above a Castle...








...sits the Klasterni Strahov, a new brewpub in a very old location. The Monastery at Strahov dates back to 1142, and beer has been brewed on-site for centuries - however, the current Pivovar has been brewing its own St. Norbert lagers since 2001. It's easy to reach by Prague's famous trams, as Line #22 will drop you off just yards from the driveway. Inside the property is, yes, a monastery and chapel, but for me the attraction was this delightful outdoor patio.

I thoroughly enjoyed the St. Norbert Amber Lager, and my friend Ute said that the dark was delicious (always a smaller size, Ute?). An American family was at the table next to us, and Dad was singing the praises of the Special Weizen. The wheats aren't usually a fave of mine, but here goes nothing!




It was delicious! Cool, tasty, VERY fresh!

As it should be, since the copper kettles were sitting about ten feet away from me!







I found the service to be excellent. An extra smile and a couple of attempts at Czech and a compliment or two, and the staff melted like ice cubes. They were a delight to chat with, and looked after us very well. I hadn't noted the Cloister as a Must-Visit while planning my Prague Pubs, but I was very glad to have made the effort to visit. They rate a delightful and friendly 8 out of 10 on my Yuk/Yummy Scale of beery goodness, and they'll definitely be on my return list for my next trip to Prague. Pricier than the older "locals" down in the city, but well worth the journey to the top of the hill.
NEXT: Tiger in your Tankova!

No comments: